Friday, January 13, 2012

Alarm Clocks

I have to be out of my apartment every morning by around 6:30 am in order to make it in to work on time.  If you hadn't figured it out by now, let me spell this out for you: I am not a morning person.

I never have been, and I probably never will be.

The very first thing I experience every morning is a repetitive buzzing. Over and over and over.

I hate it.

I fully understand that, were it not for this clock, I would not make it in to work, and I would become unemployed.  But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

It's interesting to me - alarm clocks are such a core component of nearly everyone's daily life. And yet ...

Is there anyone who likes these things? No. Really.

Historically, alarm clocks would ring a bell. Loudly and repeatedly.

In the eighties, it was clock radios, which would turn the radio on so we could listen to the perky morning show hosts. These never worked for me, forcing me to the other alternative of the time - loud obnoxious buzzing things.  Of course the eighties also gave us the snooze button. They may have existed before this time, but they became more widespread in the eighties.

Do you know what that snooze button does?  It postpones the inevitable and makes you late more often than not. And most snooze buttons are set for nine minutes of rest - who dreamed that number up? Is it a matter of snoozing for less than ten minutes?

These days, it seems as though most "alarm clocks" are phones. We use my wife's phone. And, while she usually finishes the wake-up process, her phone starts the ball rolling. Loudly and obnoxiously. And with an weird fifteen minute snooze.

And we both hate waking up to it.

1 comment:

  1. James was using a church-bells alarm setting for a while. I couldn't handle that.

    ReplyDelete