Friday, December 30, 2011

Publishing Delays

Recently, a friend of mine got me hooked on a book.

Well, not exactly.  A trilogy.

He recommended it. Highly.

Now, I'm usually skeptical of the first few recommendations I receive from a friend - I don't know yet if their taste is any good. In fact, my considering them a friend is usually a strike against their taste.

It's good.  It's really good.

And there is an RPG due out. It was supposed to be out in November, and was then pushed back to December 15th.  So my friend and I both placed orders with our FLGS.

I was there the other night, and I asked for an ETA. I was told it's been pushed back. The publisher's website shows a February release, now.  The PDF is available now - but I'm not a PDF-only gamer. I like having a physical copy there at the table. And printing PDF's is expensive.  Really expensive.

So now there is this game I'm excited about and ... it's late.

Delays like this are endemic in the gaming industry - both analog and digital. It hits every publisher. My wife waited almost three years for a copy of the Grimm RPG. Because it was pushed back and pushed back and delayed. She was also yelled at by a would-be customer when Mission: Red Planet didn't arrive in time for a show.

We understand that delays happen.

But that doesn't make them any less frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment