Friday, July 29, 2011

Translation and Revision of Wordplay and Puns

I love word games. I really do.  I'm not very good at them, but they're fun.

That said, however, they're a huge pain to translate if gameplay has anything to do with vocabulary, wordplay or puns. Even Scrabble requires some tweaks from language to language - the game is carefully balanced in English based on our letter frequency.  If you translate it into French, suddenly you need to include more U tiles and the letter H needs its value increased.

Puns don't translate well at all, with very few exceptions. Occasionally, you'll find a word that has multiple meanings in multiple languages, but these words are very rare.  Similarly, games requiring wordplay are a huge pain to translate.

I'm told that the Spanish-language editions of Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are exceptional. I'd love to read them sometime. Or, more accurately, have my wife read them to me, as I don't read Spanish.

Right now, I'm working on the translation of a game that uses wordplay. And has very strict requirements for this wordplay - the total number of available letters is limited, and there are limitations on the available words, too.

I've spent the better part of a month fighting with this one. And it just gets more and more frustrating as I work my way through it. Because it requires jokes and onomatopoeia and changing languages really screws with them.

It's the second-most frustrating gaming project I have ever worked on.

The first? Also based on wordplay, but it also required puns.

It took a team of four of us multiple evenings communicating via Skype to get it done.

And then the publisher decided not to print it after all.

Not. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment