Friday, August 24, 2012

Time Zones

My wife and I just returned home from a vacation on the East Coast.  It was a good vacation, but we're having trouble adapting to the fact that we're three hours out of sync.

We didn't struggle while we were there, because the convention basically ran 24/7, so we could set our own sleeping hours without any problems.

But, now that we're home, it's hard getting back into sync with the people around us and our normal schedules.

I understand the reason for time zones.  They make sense. Standardization helped the railroads run more accurately.

Of course, if we'd just standardized to one big time zone, then a lot of problems and confusion could have been avoided.  It'd mean that Westerns would have duels at "High two," when the sun is directly overhead.

But it would mean I don't need to re-set my clock when I visit the East Coast. And it'd mean that I don't have to do math to figure out if my flight from Indianapolis is one or two hours long.

And, yes, it's mean that my shift at work would be from five until eleven - but I can handle that.

And I know: It wouldn't fix the jet lag issue.

But I really hate the way things work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment