Friday, August 17, 2012

Unannounced Returns from Hiatus

I follow a lot of blogs.  Too many, in fact. Eventually, I'll need to do something about that.

But, from time to time, one or more of them will go on hiatus.  Maybe the author is burned out or getting married or moving or something.

I understand that Hiatus Happens.  People need that time.  I don't like it, but I understand.  And most authors are good about giving you an idea of when they'll be returning from that hiatus.

But occasionally, I'll visit a webcomic that I'd missed, and I'll discover that they're back from hiatus. And have been for several weeks.  So I need to search the archives and figure out when they returned and start reading from there ...

Some blogs (and webcomics) have really poorly-organized archives, making this an exercise in frustration.

It's especially annoying when it's one of those rare websites that doesn't have an RSS feed that I can follow - following RSS feeds means I don't need to go to your site to learn when you've updated. They're a huge time-saver and make life much easier for your fans.

There are few things online as annoying as looking through poorly-organized archives trying to find the start point for the hiatus so that you can get caught up without spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment