Friday, April 6, 2012

Mornings

I'm really not good with mornings.  Never have been.  I've always been more of a night owl. It's just how I'm wired.

I used to work in a laser tag arena.  We were open from 10am until midnight most days, and I tended to work the late shift. It meant I got home around 2am.

Before that, I worked at a fast food restaurant that was open ten to ten most days. When I opened, I had to be to work by nine for food prep.  After work, I often went to a local restaurant for trivia until roughly 2am. Meaning I was home around 2:30.

It was just my natural routine - one I settled into naturally.

It wasn't long before my boss stopped scheduling me for morning shifts.  "You're just so much better with customers in the evenings," she told me.

Because I was almost non-functional in the morning.  This was partly due to my sleep disorder and partly because I'm just more alert in the evenings.

I'm normally a bit of a cranky grump. Ask anyone who knows me or has worked with me or has read this blog. But having to be up in the morning pushes my grump levels to new heights (or depths, as the case may be).  I'm crabby, incoherent, and less logical than normal (which is really saying something).

It adds up to a bad combination to be around - if I had a choice, I  wouldn't be around me in the mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment