Friday, May 6, 2011

Being Short-Handed

We fired someone at work a few weeks ago. She had a severe lack of detail-orientedness (and yes, I know, it's not actually a word). I fought against her firing for a very long time for several reasons, but I lost the fight.

And now we're short-handed.

At my office, we don't have enough work for three people, but we have too much work for two. We spent a couple of weeks not taking lunches regularly, and have FINALLY started to settle into a rhythm that works with two, but there's still more work than hours in a week.

And it's not the sort of work where we can do the job evenings and weekends. We have to work during the week.

So there are little tasks that are falling behind. That will continue to fall behind. Until we get someone new in there. And they'll take some training, which will put us even further behind for a while.

There's nothing likable in that scenario.

And that's where I am right now.

2 comments:

  1. Just wait till one of you has a holiday or calls in sick!

    Same problems here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teammate on the desk is a short-timer - she will be leaving within two to six weeks, depending on when her husband's orders come through (he's military).

    I have approved vacation in June and August.

    Not going to be fun for anyone.

    ReplyDelete