Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas

Given the schedule, I'm sure you had to see this one coming.

I don't dislike Christmas. I dislike what it has become.

Even if you're not an American, you've probably noticed our month-long Festival of Commercialization. Last I heard, we'd already infected parts of Canada and Europe.

Even non-Christians can see the appeal of a holiday that's all about love and celebrating life when surrounded by the death of Winter. It's a holiday that says to the cold, "You can't get us, because we stand together!"

And we've totally lost that. Now it's a holiday where people are trampled to death trying to get the best deals on a very limited number of products. Where people have been known to get into fistfights over a $40 chunk of plastic, fake fur, and some wires.

I don't just dislike that: I hate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment