Friday, November 4, 2011

The Loss of Saturn as a Brand

My current car is a 2007 Saturn Vue. My wife and I both love it. The car I owned before that was a 1996 Saturn SL1. Before that, I drove a 1993 SL2. I loved both of those cars.

My old SL2 now belongs to my younger brother.

In fact, my family has owned more than a dozen Saturns. Our first Saturn was a 1991 Saturn SL1. It was notable because it was one of the cars impacted by that early recall that turned a PR nightmare into a success story.

We've only had one car die on us - it'd been poorly maintained (by me), and the engine seized after the oil pump failed. So long as we kept up with the maintenance, however, the cars have done very well for us.  We just drive a lot as a family. And Mom keeps getting T-boned and rear-ended.

To save money in 2009, GM discontinued the entire Saturn brand.  My family is painfully aware of the fact that our current cars may be our last Saturns.

I never want to drive anything that is not a Saturn, but I will eventually not have any other choice.

And I hate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment