Friday, January 21, 2011

Basketball

When I was younger, I disliked all sports. Every one of them. Now that I'm grown, I enjoy a few of them, but I don't understand the appeal of basketball. At all.

Most games, the offense and defense are somewhat balanced. In basketball, the defense is almost unimportant. Many of the games I've sat through boil down to Team A Scores! Team B Scores! Team A Scores! Team B Scores!

It's the ball moving back and forth and back and forth and ... well, being uninteresting.

If basketball had more or better-balanced defensive options, I might find it worth watching. Soccer and Hockey have designated defensive players. Football almost has two separate teams. Baseball ... baseball is weird.

The winner in a basketball game tends to be the team who sinks 3-point shots instead of the usual 2-pointers. Or manages to pull off even a single defensive play.

Is there skill involved in shooting the ball through the hoop? Yes. Absolutely. Are these people athletes beyond my ability? Yes. Absolutely.

Do I want to participate and/or watch it?

No. Absolutely not.

1 comment:

  1. You need to watch Duke play sometime if you want to see pressure defense. Last year, Duke won the National title by being a better defensive team than anyone else in the country.

    They play tomorrow at 4PM EST on ESPN. But Wake Forest is really terrible this year...

    ReplyDelete